The best way for teens to learn safe driving habits is by taking an ODOT-approved driver ed course. But practicing regularly with a parent or guardian is just as important to learning.
Here are some tips from the pros to help your teen practice to perfection:
- Have them practice on progressively more challenging roads.
- Go driving with them in different weather conditions and at different times of the day, including nighttime and early morning.
- Practice new skills learned together in between lessons with your instructors
- Teach them to identify hazards and watch for pedestrians.
- Have them work on merging onto the highway.
- Focus on skills like push-pull steering and identifying reference points.
- Reinforce the importance of making good judgement calls.
- Be a good driving role model for them at all times.